An important announcement from the founder of property-bee.com: The future of Property Bee is assured.

As well as sharing property info, what about experience too?

Just bought or rented a new place and need help? Need how to put up shelves, replacing locks or how to tile a bathroom then this forum is for you.

As well as sharing property info, what about experience too?

Postby Beerhunter on Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:24 pm

Obviously there are a lot of people using property bee to find their first home, and I know there's a few trades men (plumbers, tilers etc) plus lots of people who are/were homeowners looking to trade up.

Now it strikes me there's a wealth of experience out there, and that first time buyers moving into their new home (or people renting a new property) have to cope with things that they might not of of had to deal with or thought of before (like changing a stopcock in my example).

So would there be any interest in a new forum, for discussing home ownership things like

* How to I change a stopcock / tap / washer?
* How do I put up a shelf?
* I've just moved in and I need new curtains, how wide does the material need to be?
* I've got a garden, help what to I do!
* How do I paint a wall / ceiling / window.
* I want to put CAT5 cabling in, whats the cheapest way (sorry there's a few techies here :lol:)

If there's a positive response, I'm happy to create a new forum for such questions as I think it fits in with property bee... sharing knowledge and information; in this case on experiences, trials and tribulations of owning a home... and we all get to learn from each others knowledge both successes and (hopefully not too many) failures.

Would you be interested in such a forum?

Cheers
BH
Beerhunter
Site Admin

Re: As well as sharing property info, what about experience too?

Postby ShackLife on Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:16 am

I'm stumped on a few of those examples :lol: So I like the idea of that kind of forum.
ShackLife

Postby valerielesley on Thu Oct 29, 2009 12:26 pm

Sounds like fun. I would be happy to share my tips on gardening, decorating and so on in exchange for learning what on earth CAT5 cabling is!
Val
valerielesley

Postby Dames on Thu Oct 29, 2009 4:07 pm

I'm happy to give tips/help on tiling :)

In fact I did a small vid recently for sealing a sink or bath for those with an unsteady hand using a silicone gun.

Consider this the first tip of the new forum :0)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7-FJXJlARk

Dames :D
Dames

Postby Beerhunter on Thu Oct 29, 2009 10:35 pm

Dames wrote:I'm happy to give tips/help on tiling :)

In fact I did a small vid recently for sealing a sink or bath for those with an unsteady hand using a silicone gun.

Consider this the first tip of the new forum :0)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-7-FJXJlARk

Dames :D

Dames, that is really good!

The tip about washing up liquid is exactly the kind of thing I find so interesting, and chances are you wouldn't know about it unless you saw (or was told by) someone else!

Cheers
BH
Beerhunter
Site Admin

Postby lostinhoney on Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:05 am

I know HOW to make curtains, so could answer that question, :) Just so long as no one wants me to make them.....

it would be a greta idea, in truth I'd probably have more questions than answers.
lostinhoney

Postby waiting and saving on Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:41 pm

I think that's a great idea - although there are some brilliant sites and videos to help people through these conundrums, sometimes it's knowing where to find a great tutorial, or just getting a straightforward single answer to a very specific question.

I would offer my advice on a bit of gardening, sewing and decorating! My advice would of course be free, however that's all it may be worth...
waiting and saving

Postby Muskoka on Thu Nov 05, 2009 8:25 pm

You can call me 'Aggie'. A dab hand at old-fashioned, environmentally friendly money-saving cleaning materials/methods :P
Muskoka

Postby valerielesley on Wed Nov 18, 2009 2:04 am

I thought I might put together a few paragraphs on 'Getting started with decorating'. When I first bought a house 30-odd years ago I hadn't a clue what to do for the best. There is a great deal of information out on the web to help with this area, but I am a bit wary of suppling links in case they turn out to be dangerous sites - not everyone has a really good firewall. Any thoughts?
Val
valerielesley

Postby Beerhunter on Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:34 am

That would be great valerie!

Posting links are ok so long as they are to what you believe to be reputable sites, ie
* visited often over a period or time
* or obvious sites eg BBC, The Times etc
* or if you have AVG, Mcafee or other virus scanner that adds an icon to the google search that shows its ok

If anyone does have a problem with a link posted on property-bee, email admin@property-bee.com and I'll investigate asap.

Cheers
BH
Beerhunter
Site Admin

Postby valerielesley on Fri Nov 27, 2009 3:48 pm

OK, thanks for that Beerhunter, I will start writing. I spend my time at the gym thinking through what I want to say, so thats 2 birds with one stone! Val
valerielesley

Postby deegee on Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:22 am

Excellent info re: sealant video of the .... :)
deegee

Return to Ownership tips and DIY