An important announcement from the founder of property-bee.com: The future of Property Bee is assured.

The future of Property Bee is assured

Support, questions and ideas about the property-bee toolbar

The future of Property Bee is assured

Postby Beerhunter on Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:20 pm

Hi everyone,

As you may know, running Property Bee (PB) has taken a lot of my free time over the past four years and has gone from an idea to something that tens of thousands of users use and love.

It reached a stage about a year ago, where I couldn't cope with its demands and something needed to be done for my sanity and health, hence I started to look to pass the baton on to someone else. Unfortunately, even tho a community effort was my preferred outcome there wasn't a viable proposal made, and hence I had to consider the alternative and more commercial offers. Whittling these proposals down it became clear there where two parties that were head and shoulders above the others, and I met both several times in person to discuss the future of PB with them. Ultimately the question I asked myself was; which could help both PB and me more?

It's my great pleasure to announce that a Limited Liability Partnership (LLP) has been formed to take over the running of PB, between myself Mark, John and Roger, both whom are directors at nethouseprices.com. Between them and nethouseprices MD Catherine, their experience, enthusiasm, contacts and resources will help PB mature and allow us to provide the service that I alone cannot provide. They also have a similar ethos to PB, and have been providing free sold price information for the past 7 years.

By forming an LLP this means PB will not be sold to another company, but be an independent legal entity in its own right, with myself continuing run PB, helped by John and Catherine.

Over the coming months we will be in somewhat of a "transition phase", sorting out how its going to work day to day, getting systems in place so I can go away on holiday and know that PB and its users are being looked after, so please bear with us if / when things go wrong!

I guess the question everyone is asking, is how will this affect me? Positively I hope.

Firstly be assured the Property Bee toolbar will always be free to download and use.

However unlike now, there will be support during office hours so that problems should be sorted out / emails responded to quicker that at present. This also means I spend less time on administration tasks, and more time to do what I do best, write code and develop new features which make PB even better and will help everyone. Further ahead, well who knows, but its going to be exciting and cutting edge stuff!

Probably the biggest change will be is the way PB is funded. As an LLP I don't think we should accept donations to pay for hosting and will have to rely purely on revenue generated by advertising to keep PB running.

Ironically the rush of donations recently (which always amazes me, and I'm truly grateful for the passion people have for PB) is a bit of an issue for me as I'm not sure its ethical to accept them given the change of PB into an LLP. Hence I will be emailing those that have donated recently, asking them what they wish me to do with their donation; refund it, help PB whilst we start this journey into new territory, or donate it to Shelter on their behalf.

This is very much a new and exciting journey for PB. I hope you will all understand the reasons why I needed to do this and continue to support us.

Thanks
Mark
(aka Beerhunter)
Beerhunter
Site Admin

Re: The future of Property Bee is assured

Postby Beerhunter on Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:06 pm

As mentioned above, I have now emailed everyone whose donation would of been used to pay for hosting from 17th Dec 2011 (when the last hosting bill was due) onwards to ask what they would like me to do with their donation.

If you have received such an email, please let me know asap please. If I don't receive an answer by 2nd March 2012 I will automatically foward your donation onto Shelter, the housing and homelessness charity on your behalf.

Thanks
BH
Beerhunter
Site Admin

Postby speakers on Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:42 pm

All the best for the new phase of Property Bees life. I've not been about much over the last year, but am available for input into new ideas and testing.

Regards
Martin
speakers
Beta Tester

Postby Beerhunter on Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:36 pm

speakers wrote:All the best for the new phase of Property Bees life. I've not been about much over the last year, but am available for input into new ideas and testing.

Hello!

Thanks speakers. Input into new and testing - that would be great as there's lots of exciting new stuff planned and I'd like keep as many of the old team around as possible to keep us on the straight and narrow :D

This month (for me at least) is mainly about sorting things out;
* getting our new 1st line support up and running to answer common email/forum questions/fix registration issues etc to free up some of my time for other stuff
* actually completing the help section on the website (I know I've been saying that for the last 4 years, but really it will be done by the end of the month!)
* sorting out what people want me to do with the donations that would of paid for hosting from 17th Dec 2011 onwards.
* plus any urgent releases...

In the meantime, if you have a great idea for PB or if you haven't already voted. pop over to viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10721 and vote for which features you would like PB to have in the future.

BH
Beerhunter
Site Admin

Postby needle on Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:58 pm

Great news.
needle
Beta Tester

Postby retiredval on Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:49 am

Excellent news. I am more than happy to visit often and click through some adverts if it keeps the service going.
Val
retiredval

Postby Bonniecat on Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:38 pm

Brand New (today signed up) to the Property Bee site and must say I'm impressed already! I live in the Far East and I find your site incredibly helpful - especially as I am looking in a totally different area of the UK from where we are from originally, to retire to next year. Extremely helpful having details on when, how long, and how much property prices have gone up and down.
Having a forum is also a great idea. Many thanks and long may your reign :D
Bonniecat

Postby BertieBasher2 on Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:10 pm

Hi Mark.

Since you asked about new features I'll suggest one.
How about info on properties that have gone from the various web sites. When they disappear it kind of implies they have been sold or the seller has given up selling them. It would be good to see the last status of a house that has been pulled from a site.
This is just a suggestion, your tool is still fantastic without it.

Best of luck
Greg
BertieBasher2

Postby skiiddy on Thu May 31, 2012 4:29 pm

Phew!!

The last couple of days have been filled with anxiety! Thought you had gone for ever!

I would be very pleased to get involved with any new venture and please contact me at sm@argentaestates.co.uk

Best wishes
skiiddy

Postby angleblue63 on Tue Sep 18, 2012 11:12 am

My understanding is that the data which allows for the transfer of Longitude/Latitude co-ordinates to Post Codes is not currently freely available. However, that is hopefully due to change in the immediate future?
stive
angleblue63

Postby dushVughedaWY on Sun Jul 28, 2013 2:57 am

Hi everyone,As you may know, running Property Bee (PB) has taken a lot of my free time over the past four years and has gone from an idea to something that tens of thousands of users use and love.It reached a stage about a year ago, where I couldn't cope with its demands and something needed to be done for my sanity and health, hence I started to look to pass the baton on to someone else. Unfortunately, even though a community effort was my preferred outcome there wasn't a viable proposal made, and hence I had to consider the alternative and more commercial offers. Whittling these proposals down it became clear there where two parties that were head and shoulders above the others, and I met both several times in person to discuss the future of PB with them. It's my great pleasure to announce that a Limited Liability Partnership (LLP) has been formed to take over the running of PB, between myself and Nethouseprices.com. Their experience, enthusiasm, contacts and resources will help PB mature and allow us to provide the service that I alone cannot provide. They also have a similar ethos to PB, and have been providing free sold price information for the past 8 years.By forming an LLP this means PB will not be sold to another company, but be an independent legal entity in its own right, with myself continuing run PB, helped by NHP. Firstly be assured the Property Bee toolbar will always be free to download and use. However unlike now, there will be support during office hours so that problems should be sorted out / emails responded to quicker than at present. Probably the biggest change will be is the way PB is funded. As an LLP I don't think we should accept donations to pay for hosting and will have to rely purely on revenue generated by advertising to keep PB running. Ironically the rush of donations recently (which always amazes me, and I'm truly grateful for the passion people have for PB) is a bit of an issue for me as I'm not sure its ethical to accept them given the change of PB into an LLP. Hence I will be emailing those that have donated recently, asking them what they wish me to do with their donation; refund it, help PB whilst we start this journey into new territory, or donate it to Shelter on their behalf. This is very much a new and exciting journey for PB. I hope you will all understand the reasons why I needed to do this and continue to support us. Thanks Mark (aka Beerhunter)

------------------------------
aerial + of Korea
dushVughedaWY

Postby karahman81 on Wed Oct 09, 2013 9:41 am

Hi,
Is there any updates on the takeover from nethouseprices.com, as there seems to be no further updates on integration with the new owners or features/updates on new releases. I note there's another thread on issues with the current release v2.0.16.2 where people are suggesting that property-bee is no longer, is this true. I've been using property-bee for a while now and it's such a powerful tool for those looking to buy/sell properties, that it would be a gross injustice if nethouseprices.com decide not to progress this great 'product'.
karahman81

Postby lisee on Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:04 pm

i don't think this site is monitored or anything anymore :cry:

I have used the toolbar often over the past 2 years... a great thing gone to waste....
lisee

Postby mikedon46 on Sat Nov 23, 2013 9:09 am

lisee wrote:i don't think this site is monitored or anything anymore :cry:

I have used the toolbar often over the past 2 years... a great thing gone to waste....

I had problems with new install and contacted Nethouseprices via their web site

I see under installing propertybee, an entry from 'mod' sorting out the problem,
maybe a few messages to there may make them realise
the better they make pb, the more income,
the better pb can become

This is used be public and trade, surely such a good product need life/growth,
that sadly pb does not seem to have.
mikedon46

Return to Support and Questions